Background check and criminal records

A background check can help employers to make intelligent and informed hiring decisions to help reduce their risk of theft.

In the event that an employer has suspicions that an applicant may have a criminal background, an initial screening will be done to determine the validity of the background and that’s why many companies also use professionals background check services such as Island Now which specialize in this area. Employers may request a check from the local police if a suspicion has been raised by a source outside the employer’s control (for example, a check by the Social Security Administration or the U.S. Department of Homeland Security). If the check shows a conviction, a notice of the conviction will be given to the applicant and the applicant may be fired or denied further employment based on that conviction or any subsequent criminal convictions or arrests. If the employment is permanent, the applicant is prohibited from receiving unemployment compensation for a period of one year following the conviction. Applicants are advised to obtain legal representation when facing a conviction.

What is a “minor” criminal offense?

Minors who are 16 years of age or younger are required to register as a sex offender (Section 3101(c)(7) of the Juvenile Justice and Delinquency Prevention Act of 1974). Conviction for any offense other than a minor juvenile offense is a Class A Misdemeanor which carries a maximum sentence of a maximum of one year in jail and/or a fine up to $500. How do I apply to change my address? Please call (410) 654-7071 for information and assistance. I was convicted of a crime, and was later found innocent, can I apply to have my name removed from the Sex Offender Registry? If the conviction is reversed on appeal, then you can apply for an order to have your name removed from the registry, but you will be required to pay a $50.00 administrative fee and submit proof of reversal. If the conviction was not reversed, you can apply only if you have not been found innocent.

Is there a waiting period to register? Yes, there is a waiting period for registering. It is typically one year for first time offenders, two years for offenders who previously registered and have not been convicted of a felony or sex offense, and three years for offenders convicted of a felony or sex offense and convicted of two or more misdemeanors. When registering, your application must be forwarded to the Office of Vital Records in the city where you are living or one of the counties in which you reside. This is because many states require registration within two years after your arrest and conviction. You will be notified when your registration is complete. Once the waiting period is over, your records will be available on a public website. You will be allowed to check the status of your records and to apply for a driver license. After you register your vehicle with your local office, the state will contact the local office when you apply for a driver license.

What if I have been convicted of a DUI, have multiple DUI’s or have been convicted of DWI but not imprisoned?

If you have already been convicted of a DUI, have multiple DUI’s or been convicted of DWI but not imprisoned you will have to apply for a restricted driving privilege. To apply, you will need to: 1. Complete the restricted driving privileges application.

Submit a signed copy of your probation or parole revocation order with the restricted driving privileges application. If you are currently on probation or parole you will be required to send in the probation/parole order along with the restricted driving privileges application.

715 Massachusetts St.
Lawrence, KS

(785) 856-7150